Last month I discussed the justification for testing. Here are the minimum testing requirements of any organization. If you are a client purchasing software or contracting for the development of software, then consider requesting proof that it actually works.
Responsibility: Quality Control
QC develops acceptance tests for key system features
QC adds to the acceptance test suite as new features are implemented or customers contract for customizations
Developers write unit tests as an integrated part of the code base
In many cases the test code will be as large as the system of test
- A developer does not release code until
- The code is written
- All unit and acceptance tests pass.
- All requirement and test case documents match and accurately reflect the actual code delivered.
- Three Components of any Release
- Code Base
- Testing Base
- Unit and acceptance tests are written to replicate any reported bugs.
- The entire test suite, including the new tests, is executed to ensure the bug has been resolved and no new bugs have been introduced.