Title: Breakthrough Project Portfolio Management
Subtitle: Achieving the Next Level of Capability and Optimization
Author: Murali Kulathumani
Details: Hardcover, 6×9, 272 pages, ISBN: 978-1-60427-149-2, December 2017
Retail Price: $59.95
JRP Direct Price: $49.95
Exclusively for the PM/BA Times community, use the coupon code: BAPM20 at checkout to save an extra 20% on J. Ross Publishing titles.
“Many companies have spent a great deal of time and effort on project portfolio management with little ROI to show for it. We finally have a true guide for executives looking to bring sanity, maturity, and visibility to their IT investments.”
—Marilyn Weinstein, CEO, Vivo, Inc.
“This is very exciting new book in the sense that it will greatly enhance any CIO’s efforts to improve their company’s portfolio capability maturity.”
—Greg Taffet, CIO, US Gas and Electric, Inc.
This unique text discusses why project portfolio management has been elusive to most organizations. It explains how an impactful portfolio is attainable using a back-to-basics approach that includes the use of a simplified form of earned value management called mEVM for measuring and managing a portfolio, adapting it to changing situations, and executing effective decisions. Every section of this practical desk reference provides guidance for getting your portfolio up and running quickly to achieve immediate results. Whether you already have a project portfolio, or are starting to build a portfolio from scratch, this breakthrough book will show you how to obtain a high-performing project portfolio without investing in expensive tools.
- Sequentially covers the essential capabilities of an effective portfolio and provides a logical construct of how the different capability areas interact
- Provides a complete understanding of all the building blocks of a portfolio, the critical success factors needed to achieve desired results, and the nuances involved in implementing them
- Introduces a pioneering mEVM methodology and articulates various strategies for implementing it within an organization
- Explains how to effectively monitor and manage the performance of a portfolio, the important task of balancing a portfolio, and how to ensure the realization of project benefits
- Presents a detailed look at portfolio governance including how to ensure that it provides successful direction for the portfolio
- Explores the important relationship between the portfolio office, CIO, and finance department and supplies effective funding strategies for project portfolios
About the Author
Murali Kulathumani, PMP, has over 20 years of IT management experience. He has successfully managed large project portfolios at leading Silicon Valley firms such as Cisco, Symantec, and Kaiser Permanente. Murali has extensive knowledge of the full spectrum of portfolio capabilities. This leading expert also pioneered a simplified form of earned value management, called mEVM, which has been well received by industry practitioners and a number of organizations. In fact, it has become the standard at a billion-dollar business unit of a leading health care provider in the United States.