Title: Seven Steps to Mastering Business Analysis, 2nd Edition
Subtitle: The Essentials
Author: Jamie Champagne, CBAP, PMP, PMI-PBA
Details: Softcover, 7.5 x 9.25, 280 pages, ISBN: 978-1-60427-160-7, October 2019
Retail Price: $69.95
JRP Direct Price: $59.95
Exclusively for the PM/BA Times community, use the coupon code: BAPM20 at checkout to save an extra 20% on J. Ross Publishing titles.
“Wow! The thoroughness of this book is incredible. Champagne has crafted a comprehensive, extensive, and progressive guide to take one through the well-formed steps to becoming an outstanding business analyst. This guidebook provides a wealth of skills, tools, techniques, and perspectives to infuse competence and confidence into the work of any BA.”
—Dr. Paul G. Schempp, Professor, University of Georgia and President, Performance Matters, Inc.
“Business analysis is a broad discipline. By distilling the breadth of the profession into seven applicable steps, the author provides a practical framework which will be of immediate interest to new and experienced BAs alike.”
—Adrian Reed, Former President, IIBA UK Chapter, Author of Business Analyst, and Director and Principal Business Analysis Consultant, Blackmetric Business Solutions
This volume in the Business Analysis Professional Development Series by leading expert and keynote speaker Jamie Champagne is the second edition of our number #1 best seller. It is an instructional text that will help relatively new analysts, and those expected to do business analysis work in addition to their main role, build their skill sets, master the essentials, and advance their careers. Since the content is aligned with the consensus-based business analysis standards of both the Project Management Institute (PMI) and the International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA), as articulated in their respective guides and bodies of knowledge, this book continues to be an excellent reference for the PMI-PBA, ECBA, CCBA, and CBAP certification exams.
Seven Steps to Mastering Business Analysis, 2nd Edition, presents detailed explanations of business analysis concepts, terms, tasks, and techniques, and includes examples to help readers understand how to apply them to real-world situations. It also delineates the key activities that are core to the BA role and the diverse range of activities analysts perform based on their career competency level, ranging from problem solving and identification of business opportunities, to complex systems thinking and solution development, to strategic planning and change management. Even for those not interested in certification, this guide is a must-have reference for BA generalists, specialists, and hybrids at every career level and industry segment or perspective.
- Helps new and experienced BAs, as well as project managers, systems analysts, product managers and many others doing analysis work, master the skill sets essential to successful business analysis
- Supplies a clear definition of the business analysis role and insights on how to approach analysis work to help deliver successful solutions
- Brings needed attention to the significant value those performing the BA role are delivering to all areas of organizations today in the form of change efforts and in project-based work focused on elicitation, analysis, validation, problem solving, and solution delivery
- Articulates numerous techniques and approaches for learning the business you are working in and gaining an understanding of the technology environment regardless of your background
- Walks readers through the business case process for gaining support and initiating projects and change efforts
- Details techniques for successful requirements elicitation, analysis, and validation and how to successfully plan your approach to delivering high-quality business analysis deliverables
- Explains the current frameworks used for change and project-based work and offers suggestions on how to select the best approach/technique from the various analysis work methodologies
About the Author
Jamie Champagne, CBAP, PMP, PMI-PBA, founded Champagne Collaborations to embody the passionate business analysis perspective she has brought to her work over her career. Her business analysis experience and approach focus on delivering value while collaborating across teams and organizations. She has a strong background in project management, process improvement, information systems, and knowledge management in the fields of finance, telecommunication, healthcare, transportation industries, and government. In addition to providing services through her company, Jamie also teaches information systems, process improvement, and business analysis courses at local universities and creates online training materials for today’s on-demand learning organizations.