I could not stop wondering about my professional knowledge and skill level in the area of Business Analysts, with the questions like these:
- How other BAs perform the analysis tasks?
- Is there a structured framework or knowledge base providing a guideline for various BA tasks?
- Which knowledge and skills do I need to pick up further?
- How can I position my BA role in the different type of Projects, e.g. for implementing an IT solution or improving Business Process?
- How can I prove my BA competence without an academic background in Business Analysis?
Thanks to Google, I found BABOK and IIBA to answer my questions. Have you ever the same questions as mine?
Reason 1 - BABOK Is Like a Mirror for an Experienced Business Analyst
When reading through BABOK, I can directly relate the topics to my daily work. Let us have a quick look at the knowledge areas described in BABOK ®3.0:
If using a practical case, it would be so self-speaking why these 6 knowledge areas are important for a Business Analyst:
The Sales Manager raised a request to IT for a better solution managing the Client contact information. What would the Business Analyst do after picking up the request?
- Make a plan for analyzing the request
- Execute the analysis to understand the Business problem and need
- Define the requirements for the Solution concept
- Evaluate and validate the Solution
And of course, through all the steps, the Business Analyst needs to collaborate with different stakeholders, manage the Requirements and keep a good eye on the Progress and Planning.
Reading through BABOK is like looking at a mirror which reflects on my daily work. My first and second question got answered, and luckily there is no negative surprise.
Reason 2 - BABOK Provides a List Of Various Techniques
In BABOK ®3.0, for each knowledge area, the techniques for carrying out the tasks are also suggested:
Honestly saying, I don’t know them all by heart. So learning new BA techniques will for sure increase my BA competence. My third question got also answered.
Reason 3 - BABOK Is Created and Updated by Business Analysts
BABOK is a living document and summarizes the best practices of BAs all around the world. It follows the trends and pulses in Business Analyst world. As an Business Analyst, I work in Projects with different approach and topics, such as:
- Agile Projects
- Business Process Improvement Projects
- Data-driven teams
- IT Architecture
In all different scenarios, it is important for me to position the Business Analyst role and take the right tasks. The Perspectives defined in BABOK gives me either a new idea or confirmation to what I have in mind.
My fourth question got also answered!
Reason 4 - Take the CBAP Exam
We all know the benefits of earning a Professional Certificate like those mentioned on IIBA’s website:
- Personal recognition
- Increased income
- Professional development opportunities
- Added Value to your Resume
Besides these, the case study-based questions in the Exam is certainly a nice “Game” to go through. The versatile cases do show the charm of BA career, because it proves a good experienced BA, no matter in which industry he/she is working in, he/she can perform a thorough analysis with the proper approach and technique for different business scenarios.
Although studying for the exam takes a bit time, the new knowledge you will gain and the experience of the exam is certainly valuable and unforgettable!
Till now, all my questions have been answered with a BABOK and the CBAP certificate at hand! How about yours?